National Senior Citizens Day is celebrated on August 21st every year. The day was established in 1988 by President Ronald Reagan to honor the contributions of senior citizens to their families, communities, and the nation.
The theme for National Senior Citizens Day 2023 is “Aging Unbound.” This theme celebrates the freedom and possibilities that come with age and how seniors are a large part of our community that continues to contribute in meaningful ways.
This is the same philosophy that Sunset Shores maintains. Sunset Shores believes seniors should remain an active and vital part of their community for as long as possible. Sunset Shores assists each one of their clients to live as fully as possible independently while respecting each client’s dignity and right to free choice.
Aging senior citizens have made significant contributions to our society. They have served in our armed forces, fought for civil rights, built businesses, raised families, and created art and literature. They are our teachers, mentors, neighbors, and friends. They are our history and will always be a part of “who we are” as individuals and as a nation.
On National Senior Citizens Day, we take the opportunity to thank senior citizens for their many contributions. We also raise awareness of the challenges that seniors face, such as ageism, loneliness, poverty, and health care.
There are many ways to celebrate National Senior Citizens Day and honor those that have given so much.
Here are some ideas for how to celebrate National Senior Citizens Day:
- Visiting seniors (both in your family circle and in the surrounding areas) and spending time and listening while showing courtesy and respect
- Asking for advice
- Enjoying a meal together. Maybe something that was their favorite dish.
- Discussing family history and heritage – break out the old photo album and help them remember the good times!
- Host a potluck lunch or dinner for seniors in your community.
- Take a group of seniors on a nature hike or other outing.
- Organize a movie screening or game night for seniors.
- Visit a local nursing home or assisted living facility and sing songs, tell stories, or simply provide company.
- Write a letter to a senior citizen who has made a difference in your life.
No matter how you choose to celebrate, National Senior Citizens Day is especially a time to show our appreciation for the wisdom, experience, and contributions of our senior citizens.